Monday 14 January 2019

Wood-elf woman in the woods


I like the colours on this one, they are warm and nice. The form of the archer is not too bad either, obviously some reference has been used, I can tell. And that is only a good thing. Drawing people should use more reference from real life, it will make them better. I just wonder how the elves produce the green hairdye?

This isn't without its mistakes though:

1. She is only using two fingers to pull  the string in the Mediterranean style. Third finger would help.

2. I know this is supposed to be a magic arrow or something, since it's glowing, but the arrow should really lie on the thumb here, and not float in the air. This makes aiming so much harder. I've complained many times before that in the Mediterranean or European style the arrow should be on the left side of the bow. In fact there are some period illustrations from Europe that shows the arrow also on the right side of the bow. This is much rarer, but it makes the shooting quicker since the archer doesn't have to put the arrow on the left side of the bow and then change their string hand to the other side again.

3. The bow isn't the worst I've seen (much much worse are coming soon, I promise!), but it isn't the best either. It is shaped like it would be constructed in pieces, and even if these would just be carved in the one piece of wood they would make the bow structurally weaker, and more prone to snapping. Maybe the magic glowing elven symbols protect it or something, but I don't swallow that kind of excuses.

4. She could turn her head more towards the way she's shooting. I checked this with mirror myself, and I would want to look properly at the target. Not turning my head and only looking from the corner of my eyes I looked the same as in this picture (yes my hair is that long, no it's not green), but I couldn't see as well as I could just by turning my neck to where the arrow is pointing.

Bonus: She wears the standard fantasy leather bracers, but she should really turn the left one around so it would protect the inside of her wrist from the bowstring if she accidentally hit herself with it while shooting. Which sometimes happens.

Good:
A hip quiver, yay! After all I consider this whole drawing as an example of good archery drawings, since the posture of the archer is done well and correctly. And that is a big thing. Although the bow is not completely ridiculous and the other mistakes are quite small comparing to some others I've seen.

No comments :

Post a Comment